The Singapore Maritime Employers Federation (SMEF) was formed on 26 August 1955. It is registered as a Trade Union under the Singapore Trade Unions Act. The primary objective of the Federation is to promote and protect the general interests of its members who are maritime employers. The SMEF’s important role is to establish good industrial relations between the maritime employers and the seafarers whom they employ on board their ships. The SMEF is a non-profit making organization, funded by annual subscriptions from its members.
Membership is open to all ship-management and crew-management companies.
Our Statement of Purpose
SMEF provides a unified and influential forum for supporting and promoting the interests of the ship management industry.
Our Statement of Direction
We aspire to be a more effective and respected maritime employers’ federation in Singapore with over 40 company members by 2013.
Our Main Strategies
- Truly understand our members, their business and offering value-added membership
- Expand our membership and increasing our impact and ‘voice’
- Provide advocacy, networking and services with impact and relevance
- Promote industry practices and standards
- Support Singapore’s ‘growth strategy’ as a leading International Maritime hub
- Promote and raise the profile of the maritime industry in Singapore
- Enhance and maintain the competitiveness of the Singapore flag